What Happens If My Dog Eats Chocolate?

If you’re like most dog owners, you probably have a stash of chocolate somewhere in your house. And, if you’re like most dog owners, you probably know that chocolate is bad for dogs. But what happens if your dog eats chocolate?

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. The amount of theobromine in different types of chocolate varies, but generally speaking, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine. Symptoms of theobromine poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination, hyperactivity, tremors, and seizures.

If your dog has eaten chocolate and is showing any of these symptoms, you should take them to the vet immediately.

Why is Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Theobromine and caffeine are the two toxic ingredients in chocolate, and they can both speed up a dog’s heart rate and stimulate its nervous system.

The amount of these toxins varies based on the type of chocolate you give to your dog, and some types are more dangerous than others. Cocoa powder and baker’s chocolate are the most toxic because they have the highest concentrations of these compounds. The other chocolates that contain these compounds in higher amounts include unsweetened dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate, and milk chocolate.

The amount of cocoa powder or baker’s chocolate your dog could eat safely depends on its size and weight. Smaller dogs can eat less than larger ones because their bodies have less mass to process all those toxins. But don’t worry about giving them any treats at all—they’re not worth it.

How Much Chocolate is Toxic to a Dog?

The severity of the toxicity depends on the type of chocolate, the amount ingested, and the size of the dog. The active ingredients in chocolate that are poisonous to dogs are caffeine and theobromine. Caffeine is a stimulant and can cause hyperactivity, restlessness, increased heart rate, and tremors.

Theobromine is a bitter alkaloid that’s similar to caffeine but affects the Central Nervous System (CNS) more slowly. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, urination, an accelerated heart rate leading to arrhythmias or heart failure. In severe cases it can cause seizures or coma.

Dark chocolate has higher levels of both caffeine and theobromine than milk chocolate so it poses a greater threat to dogs. White chocolate has very low levels of these toxins and isn’t considered dangerous to dogs unless consumed in large quantities.

How Much Chocolate Can Kill a Dog?

So how much chocolate is too much for a dog? It really depends on the individual dog and the type/amount of chocolate consumed. For example, Baker’s Chocolate contains about 8-10 times more theobromine than milk chocolate does.

It can take only 0.7 ounces of concentrated chocolate per kilogram of body weight to kill a dog. Milder types of chocolates vary from 1 to 4 ounces.

So keep those tempting treats out of reach next time you have company over – you never know when Fido might decide to help himself.

Amount of Theobromine in Different Types of Chocolates

  • Cacao beans: 300-1500 mg/oz.
  • Cocoa powder: 400-737 mg/oz.
  • Unsweetened baking chocolate: 390-450 mg/oz.
  • Dark chocolate: 135 mg/oz.
  • Milk chocolate: 44-60 mg/oz.
  • White chocolate: 0.25 mg/oz.

Will My Dog Be Ok After Eating Chocolate?

The prognosis for chocolate poisoning in dogs is generally good. However, there are some factors that can affect the outcome.

The severity of your dog’s symptoms will play a role in how long it takes your dog to recover from chocolate poisoning, as well as what sort of treatment they need. If your dog ate a small amount of chocolate, it may not have had much time to affect their body before you noticed and took action—so it could be easy for them to bounce back quickly.

However, if you notice symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your dog and do not act quickly enough to stop their consumption of chocolate, the effects could be more severe and require more intensive care than if you had acted sooner.

As with any condition or illness, some dogs are more susceptible than others. The biggest risk factor for developing problems from eating chocolate is age: puppies under 6 months old are at a higher risk for developing problems after consuming chocolate due to their undeveloped digestive systems.

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Chocolate?

If you think your dog has eaten Chocolate:

1) Call your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately. Time is critical when dealing with toxicities. The earlier you catch it and get treatment started, the better their prognosis will be!

2) Try to find out how much they ate and what type of chocolate it was if possible. This information will be helpful for the veterinarian treating them.

3) Do not induce vomiting or give them anything by mouth unless directed to do so by a veterinarian.

My Dog Ate Chocolate But is Acting Fine- What to Do?

If your dog ate chocolate but is acting fine, don’t panic. Chocolate is only dangerous to dogs in large quantities, so as long as your dog isn’t showing any signs of illness, he should be just fine. Of course, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and keep an eye on your dog for the next few hours.

If he starts vomiting or seems lethargic, give him some space and call your vet right away. But if he’s his usual playful self, then you can rest assured that he’ll be just fine.

How to Prevent Your Dog from Eating Chocolate?

Do you have a dog? Have you ever had your dog eat chocolate?

Chocolate is dangerous for dogs. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

So how do you prevent your dog from eating chocolate? Here are some tips:

  • Educate your family about the danger of chocolate in dogs.
  • Store it where your dog can’t reach, like high up on a shelf or in a cabinet with doors that close tightly.
  • Use a baby-gate to keep your dog out of the kitchen and eating areas.
  • Teach them the ‘’leave it’’ command so they won’t be tempted by any tasty treats left out on counters or tables by mistake.
  • Crate train them to ensure your dog doesn’t eat any harmful items when you aren’t supervising them! Make the crate comfortable and safe place for your dog by offering toys, treats, and plenty of space for exercise within its confines as well as outside of them when necessary (for example: if you must leave town overnight).

Find Out What Happens If Your Dog Eats Other Things


If you’re like most dog owners, you probably have a stash of chocolate hidden away in your house. And while chocolate is safe for humans to eat, it can be very dangerous for dogs. If your dog eats chocolate, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, increased urination, panting, restlessness, and muscle tremors.

In severe cases, chocolate ingestion can lead to seizures and death. So if your dog gets into your chocolate stash, call your veterinarian immediately.

Share This Article To Help Others: