What Happens If My Dog Eats A Battery?

If your dog eats a battery, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. Batteries can be very dangerous to dogs and can cause serious health problems. If your dog eats a portion of a battery, or a whole battery, it can cause an obstruction or blockage in their systems. If your dog swallows small round button-sized batteries, they can pose an additional concern. Symptoms of battery toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, tremors, and seizures.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats a Battery?

If your dog ingests a battery, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and bring them to the vet. If the battery is stuck in their throat or esophagus, it will need to be removed surgically. If the battery has been swallowed and is in their stomach, they may need surgery to remove it or endoscopy to determine the best course of action.

In either case, batteries can cause serious damage to the digestive tract so it is important to get your dog treated as soon as possible.

Will My Dog Poop Out a Battery?

The answer is yes, but it depends on several factors.

First, how big is the battery? If it’s small enough, it might pass through your dog’s digestive tract without causing any damage. However, if it’s too large for your dog to swallow whole or too hard for them to digest, then there’s a chance that some pieces could break off and remain in the stomach. This can lead to serious health issues if not addressed quickly.

How Long Does It Take for a Battery to Pass Through a Dog?

On average, it takes about 48 hours for a battery to pass through a dog. However, this time can vary depending on the size of the dog and the type of battery ingested. If your dog has ingested a battery, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately.

How Do I Know If My Dog Has Eaten a Battery?

If you find that your dog has eaten a battery, it’s important to be aware of the symptoms and to act quickly.

First, check your dog’s mouth. If there are batteries lodged in his throat or stomach, they may have ruptured or become lodged somewhere else in his body. You may also notice burns on his tongue or lips.

If you think your dog has swallowed a battery, call your vet right away. Your vet will likely give your dog an X-ray to check for injuries or obstructions caused by the battery, as well as perform an ultrasound to see if the battery has passed through the esophagus into the stomach. If it hasn’t yet passed through, it will need to be removed surgically before it can cause further harm to your pet’s internal organs.

My Dog Chewed a Battery, Will He Be Ok?

It all depends.

If your dog chewed on a battery, it’s important to know if it was alkaline or lithium-based. Alkaline batteries are the ones with the + and – signs on the outside of them, and they’re most commonly used in household electronics like remote controls and flashlights. Lithium batteries are used in more specialized electronic devices, like cameras and cell phones.

Lithium batteries can cause serious damage to your dog’s mouth, esophagus, and stomach within 15 minutes if he ingests them. He may have trouble swallowing or breathing, leading to more serious health problems down the line. If these symptoms arise after you think your dog might have chewed on a lithium battery, it’s important to call your vet right away.

Alkaline batteries aren’t as dangerous as Lithiums—they’ll just leave a nasty taste in your dog’s mouth that should wear off within 24 hours—but they’re still not something you want him chewing on (or eating).

Dog Ate AAA Battery, What To Do?

If your dog ate a AAA battery, it’s a medical emergency. The biggest concern with batteries is that they can cause blockages in the digestive system.

If your dog is showing signs of discomfort or pain, call your veterinarian right away. If your dog isn’t showing any adverse effects, keep an eye on them and contact your vet if you have any concerns.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating Batteries?

Preventing your dog from eating batteries is easier than you think. Here are some steps you can take:

1) Keep all batteries out of reach from your dog

2) Make sure your dog is wearing a collar that has a breakaway clasp so he won’t choke if he gets caught on something while playing with a battery

3) Keep loose change stored in an area where the dog can’t get it

4) Educate your family about the danger of Batteries in dogs

5) Crate train them to ensure your dog doesn’t eat any harmful items such as batteries when you are not supervising your dog.

Find Out What Happens If Your Dog Eats Other Things


If your dog eats a battery, it could be very dangerous. The chemicals in the battery can cause burns and other damage to the digestive system. If you think your dog has eaten a battery, take them to the vet immediately.

Share This Article To Help Others:

Dr Harunur Rashid (Harun) is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine who has five years of experience in large pet animal medicine. He worked as a livestock officer for two years in an NGO, and since then he has been practicing pet animals medicine privately. He holds an MS in Pharmacology from Bangladesh Agricultural University and a DVM from the same institution.