What Happens If My Dog Ate One M&M?

If your dog ate one M&M, it is unlikely that there will be any serious consequences. M&Ms are not toxic to dogs and they are not likely to cause an upset stomach or other problems. However, if your dog ate a large number of M&Ms, it could potentially lead to gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea or vomiting.

Can One M&M Hurt a Dog?

No, a M&M cannot hurt a dog. However, the chocolate that M&Ms are made with can be toxic to dogs if they eat too much of it.

How Many M&M’S are Toxic to Dogs?

M&Ms are a popular treat for people and dogs alike, but did you know that they can be toxic to your furry friend? It’s true – chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can cause them serious health problems. So how many M&Ms are too many for a dog?

Dogs that eat a few M&Ms or 1-2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie are unlikely to develop chocolate poisoning. For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.6 ounce per kg of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning.

In short, it’s best to keep those M&Ms away from your four-legged friend – even just one could make them very sick.

How Many M&Ms Can Kill a Dog?

You might be surprised to learn that a few M&Ms could kill your dog. The chocolate in M&Ms is poisonous to dogs and just a small amount can make them very sick. In fact, just 15 grams of chocolate per kilogram of a dog’s body weight is enough to cause poisoning.

For a 10kg dog, that’s only 150g of chocolate – the equivalent of around 130 M&Ms! Of course, not all dogs will react the same way to eating chocolate and some may be able to stomach a few M&Ms without any ill effects. But it’s always best err on the side of caution and keep your furry friend away from this sweet treat.

What If My Dog Eats Chocolate M&Ms?

If your dog eats chocolate M&Ms, it is important to monitor them closely for any potential adverse effects. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities. The amount of theobromine in chocolate varies depending on the type of chocolate, with darker chocolates containing more of the compound than milk or white chocolate.

A small number of M&Ms will likely not cause any problems for your dog, but eating a large quantity could lead to vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death. If you are concerned that your dog has eaten too many chocolate M&Ms, it is best to contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating M&Ms?

It can be a challenge to keep your dog away from the candy bowl, especially when they’re just so darn cute and alluring. But we promise you—it is possible! Here are some tips for preventing your dog from eating M&M’s:

Educate your family about the danger of M&M in dogs. Keep it out of reach by storing it in a place where your dog can’t reach. Use a baby-gate to keep your dog out of the kitchen and eating areas. Teach them the ‘leave it’ command—this will help ensure that no one eats any harmful items when you aren’t supervising your pet. Crate train them to ensure your dog doesn’t eat any harmful items when you are not supervising their behavior. Make sure the crate is comfortable and safe for them by offering toys, treats, and warm blankets to make it feel like home.

My Dog Ate an M&M, Will He Be Ok?

If your dog ate an M&M, he will probably be just fine. M&Ms are made of chocolate, sugar, and milk, all of which are safe for dogs in small amounts. However, if your dog ate a lot of M&Ms, he could get sick from the sugar or chocolate.

So if your dog ate an M&M (or more), keep an eye on him and call your vet if he seems ill.


If your dog ate one M&M, there is no need to be concerned. One M&M is not toxic to dogs and will not cause them any harm. However, several, or a full packet, may cause digestive upset resulting in diarrhea and vomiting in your dog.

If you notice that your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea after eating an M&M, then you should contact your veterinarian for further guidance.

Share This Article To Help Others: