Help! My Dog Ate A Small Piece of Fabric

Sometimes, dogs eat things they shouldn’t. One of the most common things that dogs eat is fabric. Fabric is tempting to chew on because it’s soft and it smells good! But what if your dog accidentally eats a small piece of fabric? Should you worry about it?

In this blog post, we’ll talk about what to do when your dog eats a small piece of fabric, and how to prevent it from happening. So let’s start with the following question:

How can I tell if my dog ate fabric?

Do you have a dog? Are you worried that he might have eaten a small piece of fabric? Here are some tips to help you determine if your dog has actually ingested fabric.

First, let’s talk about the symptoms of eating fabric. If your dog has ingested some sort of fabric, he may vomit it up or pass it in his stool. He may also have symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, or blood in his stool. These are all signs that your dog has eaten fabric and should be taken to the vet immediately.

If you think your dog ate a piece of fabric but didn’t see him eat it (and it isn’t clear from his vomit or stool), then he might have eaten nothing at all! Fabric is often mistaken for grass or other plants by dogs who are hungry. Here, you should probably just monitor your pet for any symptoms of eating fabric over the next few days and consider taking him to the vet if those symptoms develop.

What happens if your dog ate a small piece of fabric?

When your dog eats fabric, the most likely scenario is that they won’t digest it at all.

However, if the fabric is synthetic, some fibers may remain in their stomachs or intestines. If this happens, your dog will most likely throw up within 24 hours after eating the cloth—if not sooner.

In rare cases, dogs have eaten enough synthetic materials (like nylon) for them to die from intestinal blockage or perforation due to ingesting the fabric. Some dogs have even choked on large pieces of fabric (like socks).

What to do if your dog ate a small piece of fabric?

First, don’t panic! While it’s certainly an upsetting occurrence, there are some simple steps you can take to help your dog feel better and make sure no harm comes to them.

First off, give them some water and make sure they have access to the bathroom if they need it. They’ll know best how to handle the situation, and will give you advice on what symptoms to look for and what treatment options are available.

If your dog ate a small piece of fabric (less than 5 cm x 5 cm), it’s unlikely that they’ll need any medical intervention. If the fabric is made from natural fibers (like cotton or wool), it’s likely that they’ll pass through their system with little difficulty. You might notice they have some mild stomach upset or diarrhea, but if those symptoms resolve within 24 hours, there should be no long-term health effects from what happened.

If the fabric is synthetic (like nylon or polyester), or if it was something like a ribbon that has been treated with chemicals, you might have them checked out by your vet just in case there are any issues later on down the road because of toxins ingested along with the fabric.

You might bring along the piece of fabric so they can examine it and determine whether it was toxic.


If your dog has eaten a small piece of fabric, the prognosis is generally good.

There are many factors that can affect the severity of the situation, though. The first thing to consider is whether your dog ingested the fabric while it was still attached to something else. If they did, then there is a greater risk of blockage and obstruction as the object moves through their digestive tract.

Another factor is how quickly you could get your dog to the veterinarian. If you wait too long, then there may be some damage done to the intestines or other organs by the time they are treated. This would increase their likelihood of complications later down the road—such as an infection or an abscess forming within the body cavity because of inflammation caused by any damage done during transit through the system.

How to prevent your dog from eating fabric?

We all know that dogs love to eat fabric. It’s just a fact of life. But what can you do to prevent them from doing it?

First, keep your dog away from fabric when you aren’t home. If you have a large dog and live in an apartment, this might be difficult—but try putting your dog in a crate while you’re at work or school.

Second, If your dog gets their paws on some fabric, act quickly. The more quickly you remove it from their mouth, the less likely they are to swallow it—and less likely they are to cause themselves serious injury by swallowing something sharp or toxic like thread or sewing needles.

Also, keep plastic bags and other plastic packaging away from your dog at all times, as they can also have a toxic effect on dogs if ingested in large quantities. If you’re worried about your dog eating fabric or other non-food items, try giving them a chew toy instead.

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers of some FAQs regarding fabric and dog:

Why would a dog eat fabric?

Pica, stress, and boredom are all potential causes of fabric eating in dogs. If you think your dog has pica, speak to your veterinarian about treatment options. Your vet may recommend medication or dietary supplements to help manage the condition.

How long does it take a dog to pass fabric?

That depends on the size of the fabric and the size of your dog. It will take anywhere from 10 hours to 24 hours for a dog to pass the fabric. Smaller dogs may pass the fabric more quickly, while larger dogs may take longer. If you’re concerned about how long it’s taking your dog to pass something, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

What if a dog eats a towel?

If your dog has eaten a towel or other fabric, please contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting or use any home remedies without first consulting with your vet.

Can a dog still poop with a blockage with fabric?

Yes, a dog can still poop with a blockage even if it’s made of fabric. It might be a little harder for them to do so, but they can still pee and poop when they have an obstruction in their digestive tract.


If your dog ate a small piece of fabric, don’t panic. The most important thing to do is to call your vet and let them know what happened. Then, follow the steps above to determine if there are any signs of illness or discomfort. If your dog seems fine and shows no signs of pain or discomfort, you can relax and watch for other symptoms. If you notice any other symptoms, it’s best to call your vet right away.

Share This Article To Help Others: