If you give your dog too much Simparica, there is a chance they could experience some side effects. Transient and self-limiting neurological signs were observed in some dogs in case of Simparica overdose. We observed mild tremors at 3 times the maximum exposure dose and convulsions at 5 times the maximum exposure dose in dogs. The good news is that all dogs were recovered without treatment.
Can Simparica Be Given More Than Once a Month?
No, Simparica should not be given more than once a month. The recommended dosage is one chewable tablet per month for dogs and puppies over 6 months of age and older.
How Much Simparica Can I Give My Dog?
Simparica should be administered orally to your dog, once every month, at the minimum dosage of 0.91 mg/lb (2 mg/kg) sarolaner. Dogs weighing between 2.8 to 5.5 lbs should be given one 5 mg Simparica chewable tablet monthly. Dogs weighing between 5.6 to 11.0 lbs should be given one 10 mg Simparica chewable tablet monthly.
Dog Ate Two Doses of Simparica Trio- Should I Worry?
When used as directed, Simparica Trio is safe for most dogs. However, because it contains potent pesticides, there is always the potential for side effects when used in excess. The most common side effects of Simparica Trio include vomiting and diarrhea.
If your dog ate two doses of Simparica Trio, he might experience minor tremor depending on the size of the dog. In more rare cases, excessive drooling, lethargy, tremors, and convulsions have been reported at very high doses. If your dog vomits or has diarrhea after taking Simparica Trio (or any other medication), it’s important to call your vet right away. They may want you to bring your dog in for an examination or may give you instructions on how to treat the symptoms at home.
If your dog experiences any of the more rare side effects listed above, seek emergency veterinary care immediately. While ingesting two doses of Simparica Trio is not ideal, it likely won’t cause serious harm to your dog if they are otherwise healthy.
What Happens If You Overdose Your Dog on Flea Treatment?
If you accidentally overdose your dog on flea treatment, the most common symptom is vomiting. In more serious cases, your dog may experience diarrhea, seizures, and difficulty breathing. If you think your dog has overdosed on flea treatment, please contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.
Simparica Overdose Treatment
Treatment for an overdose will vary depending on the severity of the symptoms and how quickly you seek veterinary care. For mild cases, your vet may simply recommend monitoring your dog closely at home and bringing them in for a recheck appointment in a few days. More severe cases may require hospitalization for supportive care such as IV fluids and close monitoring of vital signs.
In rare cases, convulsions have been reported with Simparica overdoses but this is typically seen when very high doses are ingested (5 times the recommended amount). If you think your dog has accidentally ingested too much Simparica (or any other medication), contact your veterinarian or local animal emergency clinic right away.
What is the Prognosis of Simparica Overdose in Dogs?
It is important to note that the prognosis for simparica overdose in dogs is generally good. In one study, dogs who had been given an overdose of simparica, recovered completely from the overdose effects without treatment.
In some cases, however, your veterinarian will recommend treatment for your dog if there are symptoms of poisoning from simparica. This may include administration of activated charcoal to absorb any remaining drug before it enters your dog’s bloodstream, or hospitalization so that your vet can monitor your dog’s condition closely and ensure that there are no further complications.
If you give your dog too much Simparica, the worst that will happen is that they will experience mild tremor or have convulsions. If this does occur, contact your vet.