What happens If You Accidentally Give Your Dog Too Much Frontline?

No matter how much you love your dog, sometimes it’s easy to make a mistake. We’re all human, and humans make mistakes.

But what happens if you accidentally give your dog too much Frontline? Before we go over specific clinical signs of Frontline toxicity, let’s start with the following question:

What is frontline dog flea and tick treatment?

Frontline dog flea and tick treatment is a topical pesticide that can be used on dogs and puppies to prevent the contraction of fleas and ticks. It is applied directly to the skin, where it will remain until it is washed off by rain or bathing. The active ingredient in frontline dog flea and tick treatment is fipronil and (S)-methoprene, which works by causing insects to become paralyzed or die.

What is the dosage of Frontline for dogs?

The following table shows the right dosage of frontline for your dog based on its weight:

Dog WeightMonthly Dose
5 to 22 lbs0.67 mL (0.023 fl oz)
23 to 44 lbs1.34 mL (0.045 fl oz)
45 to 88 lbs2.68 mL (0.091 fl oz)
89 to 132 lbs4.02 mL (0.136 fl oz)

What happens if I give my dog too much frontline?

If you give your dog too much frontline, they may experience a variety of symptoms depending on the size of your pup and the amount that went into their systems.

Diarrhea: Diarrhea is the most common symptom of frontline toxicity in dogs. Irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines usually causes diarrhea.

Vomiting: Vomiting is another common symptom of frontline toxicity in dogs. Vomiting is the ejection of stomach contents through the esophagus and out through the mouth. Vomiting can be caused by irritation or inflammation of the stomach and intestines, as well as toxins that may be present in food or water.

Small pupils: Your dog’s pupils will be tiny and constricted.

Difficulty in breathing: Your dog may have trouble breathing or he may appear to be choking – this is a sign of a respiratory tract infection, which can also be fatal if not treated quickly.

Muscle tremor: Your dog will shake uncontrollably like he’s freezing cold, even though he’s not. This is a sign of cardiac arrest or stroke and requires immediate treatment by your vet.

Failing over: Your dog may fall over and not get back up again – this is often due to severe muscle weakness or paralysis caused by high doses of frontline toxicity. The more severe cases of this could lead to death if left untreated.

Drooling: The excess saliva caused by the overdose of frontline will drool out of your dog’s mouth, making it difficult for them to swallow properly.

Fatality: If left untreated, the excess poison in your dog’s system could lead to death. This is most likely if your dog has eaten a large amount of frontline and not vomited it up.

What to do if I give my dog too much frontline?

If you give your dog too much frontline, you may notice the above symptoms.

If you think your dog has ingested too much frontline, call your vet immediately. The sooner you act, the better chance your dog has of surviving the overdose without serious complications or side effects.

What is the prognosis of frontline poisoning in dogs?

The prognosis of frontline poisoning in dogs is often good, but it depends on the amount of poison ingested and how long after ingestion the dog is treated. If someone poisoned your dog with a small amount of insecticide, and you got to them quickly enough, you may avoid any lasting effects.

However, if your dog has been poisoned with a large amount of insecticide or other poisons, or if they have been poisoned for some time before you got them to the vet, then the prognosis will probably be poor. The longer it takes for your dog to be treated after being poisoned, the less likely it is that they will recover from their symptoms.

If your dog has been poisoned with large amounts of insecticide and you have not yet gotten them to a vet for treatment within 12 hours of ingestion, then their prognosis will probably be poor. However, if you bring them in within 12 hours after ingestion and treat them with intravenous fluids (IVs) and activated charcoal therapy (ACT), then they will survive past this initial crisis stage.

Frequently asked question

Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding frontline application and dogs.

Can I apply frontline after 2 weeks?

Yes, you can apply frontline after 2 weeks, but only if your dog is not responding at all to the first two weeks of treatment. You can also switch to another brand of frontline if you feel you need to.

Can Frontline flea treatment make dogs sick?

No. Frontline is a safe and effective way to treat fleas on your dog. However, it’s important to follow the instructions and avoid applying this product in areas where your dog might lick or ingest it.

If you’re worried about whether your dog will tolerate the amount of product that you’re applying, talk to your vet about trying a lower dose first.

What happens if you give frontline to your dog too soon?

Naturally, you might wonder what happens if you apply frontline too soon. Well, it depends on the dog’s breed and size. Though, giving frontline too soon can cause your dog to have an adverse reaction to the treatment. This can include vomiting, diarrhea or hives. If this happens, contact your vet immediately.

It’s important to note that many pets will go through a period of being “flea and tick free” before they see new fleas or ticks. This could be as long as four weeks after an application for the frontline. The reason for this is that it takes time for the insecticide in frontline to work its way through the dog’s body where it can kill fleas and ticks.

How long does frontline toxicity last in dogs?

It’s important to note that frontline toxicity can last for several days but most clinical symptoms will go away after one to three days. Some dogs may have more severe reactions and may need additional treatment. Frontline toxicity can last for several days but most clinical symptoms will go away after one to three days. If your dog is showing signs of discomfort, you can take him to a vet or call the Pet Poison Helpline for further advice.

Why do I still see fleas after using the frontline?

If you’ve used frontline or another flea and tick treatment on your pet and are still seeing fleas, don’t worry!

When you use a product like Frontline, it’s important to remember that its active ingredient is designed to kill fleas by affecting their nervous system. This means that the dying fleas will often rise to the top of your pet’s hair coat, where they can be seen. The presence of visible fleas is a sign that the product is working.

How long does the frontline last on your dog?

Frontline is a flea and tick medication that protects your dog from fleas and ticks for up to 4 weeks. You should apply Frontline to your dog every 4 weeks in order to get the most out of this product.


The toxicity of Frontline can be sometimes devastating. Always follow the instructions and read the dosage carefully before applying it to your dog.

If you accidentally give your dog too much Frontline, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Share This Article To Help Others:

Dr Harunur Rashid (Harun) is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine who has five years of experience in large pet animal medicine. He worked as a livestock officer for two years in an NGO, and since then he has been practicing pet animals medicine privately. He holds an MS in Pharmacology from Bangladesh Agricultural University and a DVM from the same institution.