What Happens If My Dog Licks Bug Spray?

The first thing you should know is that bug sprays typically contain DEET, which can be toxic to dogs. This means that if your dog licks the spray, they could ingest it and become ill. If your dog has consumed bug spray in the past and was fine, it’s possible that they may not have ingested enough to cause any harm. However, if you see any signs of sickness after consuming a large amount of DEET (such as vomiting or diarrhea), then it’s time to call the vet ASAP so they can assess the situation and determine what course of action needs to be taken next.

What Should I Do If My Dog Licked Bug Spray?

If your dog licks bug spray, the first thing you should do is try to get them to stop. If they continue, you should rinse their mouth out with water and contact your veterinarian. Bug spray is typically not harmful if ingested in small amounts, but it can be if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, tremors and seizures. If you suspect your dog has ingested a large amount of bug spray, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

Is Bug Spray Toxic to Dogs?

Most bug sprays contain chemicals that are designed to kill insects. Unfortunately, these same chemicals can be harmful to dogs if they are exposed to them. Bug spray can cause a dog to become sick if they ingest it or if it gets into their eyes or nose.

Symptoms of bug spray poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, coughing, and difficulty breathing. If you think your dog has been poisoned by bug spray, please contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Licking Bug Spray?

There’s nothing worse than watching your dog lick bug spray, but there are a few things you can do to prevent it.

  1. Don’t use the spray around your dog. If you’re in an area where mosquitoes are a problem, keep the dog away from areas where you’ve sprayed the bug repellent.
  2. Keep a bottle of water handy when you’re spraying the bug repellent—that way, if your dog does lick some up and start to get sick, you can give them a quick drink to dilute their stomach contents and help them recover more quickly.
  3. Don’t punish your dog for licking the spray—they don’t know any better! They just want to be with their humans, and sometimes that takes some very creative routes on their part.

What is the Prognosis of Bug Spray Poisoning in Dogs?

The prognosis of bug spray poisoning in dogs is generally good. When your dog gets sprayed by a mosquito or other insect, they may become irritated and scratch themselves. The chemicals in the bug spray can be irritating to their skin, and if they ingest it, it can also irritate their stomach.

The prognosis of bug spray poisoning depends on how much of the chemical your dog ingested, as well as their weight and age. If you notice that your dog has been poisoned by a bug repellent, take them to the veterinarian immediately.

My Dog Licked Roach Spray, What to Do?

If your dog has ingested roach spray, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and bring them to the vet. Ingesting roach spray can be very dangerous for dogs and can cause a variety of health problems. Symptoms of ingesting roach spray may include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, difficulty breathing, seizures, and death.

If you think your dog has ingested roach spray, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 for 24/7 assistance.

How to Treat a Dog With Pesticide Poisoning?

Pesticide poisoning is a serious problem for dogs, and can even be fatal. If you think your dog has been poisoned by pesticides, it is important to act quickly and get them to the vet as soon as possible. The first thing you should do if you think your dog has been poisoned by pesticides is to call the vet.

If possible, have the container of the pesticide with you so that they can better assess the situation. The vet will likely give your dog something to make them vomit up the poison, and may also give them IV fluids and other treatments.


If your dog licks bug spray, the active ingredients in the bug spray can potentially be toxic to your dog. The severity of the toxicity will depend on the type and concentration of the insecticide, as well as the size of your dog. If you are concerned that your dog may have licked bug spray, watch for symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, difficulty breathing, or seizures.

If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Share This Article To Help Others: