What Happens If My Dog Eats Crab Apples?

If your dog eats crab apples, you might be concerned about the potential danger of cyanide poisoning.

Cyanide is a poisonous compound that occurs naturally in apple seeds (pips), but also in other plants. The compound is made up of hydrogen and nitrogen, and when ingested, amygdalin begins breaking down into hydrogen cyanide. This process can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 8 hours to occur, depending on the amount that has been consumed, as well as the size of your dog and his metabolism rate.

Once the amygdalin has been ingested, it will be metabolized by your dog into cyanide, a dangerous poison that can cause digestive distress, vomiting, and diarrhea, or cardiovascular issues. These can lead to low blood oxygen levels, respiratory congestion, respiratory failure, coma and even death for your dog.

If your dog ate a large amount of crab apples, or if he is showing signs of above distress, call your veterinarian.

How Many Crab Apples are Toxic To Dogs?

There’s no definitive answer as to how many are toxic to your dog. It depends on a lot of factors—the size and health condition of your dog as well as the type of crab apple you’re dealing with. The leaves, stem and pips are toxic to mammals if large amounts are consumed, so it’s best not to give your dog any food that contains these parts.

How Many Crab Apples Can a Dog Eat?

We understand that you might be asking yourself “how many crab apples can a dog eat?” Well, we’re here to tell you it’s not a good idea. Even one apple can be dangerous for your dog, so the answer is no amount is safe.

Crab apples contain cyanogenic glycosides, which release cyanide in the body when they are digested. This is why they are poisonous to humans and animals alike. In fact, dogs are more susceptible to the effects of these toxins than humans because they have less body mass and different digestive systems.

The best thing to do is never give crab apples to your dog.

Do Crab Apples Give Dogs Diarrhea?

Yes, crab apples do give dogs diarrhea.

Crab apples are a type of apple that is poisonous to dogs, and can cause diarrhea and vomiting in pets who eat them. The reason they’re called crab apples is because they’re small and misshapen in appearance, which is how they got their name.

Do Dogs Recover From Crab Apple Poisoning?

Dogs can recover from crab apple poisoning. They just have to get to a vet quickly and have the poison removed from their system.

Crab apple poisoning is caused by the cyanide in the fruit, which can cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If your dog has been poisoned by a crab apple, you should seek medical assistance right away.

The symptoms of crab apple poisoning will go away on their own if your dog gets medical treatment within 24 hours of eating the apples (and if he doesn’t eat any more after that). But if you wait too long before seeking treatment, it could be fatal for your dog—so don’t delay.

How to Stop Your Dog From Crab Apple Poisoning?

Thankfully, there are a few things you can do at home to help ensure your furry friend doesn’t get sick from eating one of these potentially lethal fruits.

First, remove any crab apples from your yard or garden. If you have kids or other pets who may wander into the yard and eat them, you might want to consider planting something else instead.

Second, educate your family about the danger of crab apples in dog.

And third, always keep an eye on your dog when he or she is outside—especially if they’re near a tree or bush with crab apples in them.

Conclusion

It is a sad fact that dogs can be poisoned by eating crab apples. The poisonous substance in these types of fruit is called amygdalin, which is converted into cyanide in the body.

Once the amygdalin has been ingested, it will be metabolized by your pooch into cyanide, a dangerous poison that can cause severe side effects in your dog.

The severity of symptoms depends on how much of the poison was consumed and how quickly it was consumed. If your dog consumes too much of this fruit at once, they may die before you realize what happened.

If you believe your dog has eaten any kind of apple or crab apple (including seeds), you should take them to the vet immediately.

Share This Article To Help Others:

Dr Harunur Rashid (Harun) is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine who has five years of experience in large pet animal medicine. He worked as a livestock officer for two years in an NGO, and since then he has been practicing pet animals medicine privately. He holds an MS in Pharmacology from Bangladesh Agricultural University and a DVM from the same institution.