When I searched online ”Ketoconazole killed my dog”, I found this following heart-wrenching story in a dog forum.
”I never thought I would write a post about how ketoconazole killed my dog. We had been giving our dog, Max, ketoconazole for about a year to treat his skin allergies. It seemed to work well, and he didn’t have any major side effects that we were aware of. However, last week Max suddenly became very ill and died within 48 hours”.
This is truly a sad story. But can Ketoconazole kill a dog? We will answer this question along with other things related to Ketoconazole and dog. Let’s start with the most important question:
Is Ketoconazole Poisonous to Dogs?
Ketoconazole is a drug used to treat fungal infections of the skin, mouth, and genitals. It is also used to prevent hair loss in people who have not responded to other treatments. Ketoconazole is usually applied directly to the affected area or taken by mouth.
Ketoconazole can be poisonous to dogs, but the amount of poison it contains depends on the dosage and frequency of exposure. In general, ketoconazole will cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy in dogs that ingest larger amounts of it. If your dog has ingested way over 15 milligrams per kilogram of weight, bring your pet to an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible for treatment.
How Long Can a Dog Stay on Ketoconazole?
The time that ketoconazole is taken for will depend on the type and severity of the infection being treated.
In general, treatment with ketoconazole lasts for at least 2-4 weeks. For some people, longer courses of treatment may be necessary.
Ketoconazole Tablets for Dogs Dosage
The usual dose of Ketoconazole for dogs is 5 to 7 mg per pound (10 to 15 mg/kg) every 12 hours orally.
You should always follow the instructions on the label of your dog’s ketoconazole tablet, but in most cases, it’s best to give the medicine twice a day.
If you have questions about how much your dog should take or what side effects might be expected, talk to your veterinarian.
Is Ketoconazole 200 Mg Safe for Dogs?
Ketoconazole is available as both an oral tablet and a topical cream or shampoo. Topical formulations are typically used to treat skin infections, while oral tablets are more commonly used to treat internal infections such as those affecting the gastrointestinal tract or lungs.
In order to calculate the correct dose for your dog, you must first determine the dog’s weight in pounds and kilograms. Once you have that information, you can calculate the dose of Ketoconazole 200 mg by using the following formula:
5 to 7 mg per pound (10 to 15 mg/kg) every 12 hours orally.
So if your dog weighs 30-40 pounds, he would need 200mg of ketoconazole every 12 hours.
Can Ketoconazole Cause Liver Damage in Dogs?
There is currently no evidence to suggest that ketoconazole causes liver damage in dogs. However, as with any medication, there is always the potential for side effects and adverse reactions. If you notice your dog exhibiting any signs of liver disease (e.g., jaundice, lethargy, appetite loss), please contact your veterinarian immediately.
How Long Does It Take for Ketoconazole to Work in Dogs?
If your dog has been diagnosed with a fungal infection, your veterinarian may prescribe ketoconazole. This medication can be very effective in treating fungal infections, but how long does it take for ketoconazole to work in dogs? Ketoconazole works by inhibiting the growth of fungi.
It is most commonly used to treat skin infections, but can also treat ear and nail infections. Ketoconazole is usually given as an oral tablet or suspension, but it can also be given intravenously. The length of treatment will depend on the type and severity of the infection.
For most skin infections, treatment will last for 4-8 weeks. Ear and nail infections may require longer courses of treatment. You should see an improvement in your dog’s condition within a few days of starting treatment with ketoconazole.
However, it is important to continue giving the medication for the full course of treatment even if your dog seems to be better. Stopping treatment early could allow the infection to come back stronger than before.
Side Effects Ketoconazole Tablets in Dogs
Ketoconazole is a prescription medication used to treat fungal infections in dogs. It can treat both superficial and deep fungal infections. Ketoconazole is available as an oral tablet, topical cream, or shampoo.
The most common side effect of ketoconazole is gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea. Other possible side effects include liver damage, kidney damage, and skin irritation. If you notice any of these side effects in your dog, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Find Out Whether Other Things That Can Kill Your Dog
- Mold Killed My Dog?
- Ups Killed My Dog?
- Banfield Killed My Dog?
- Benadryl Killed My Dog?
- Raw Diet Killed My Dog?
- Cytopoint Killed My Dog?
- Apoquel Killed My Dog?
- Dinovite Killed My Dog?
- Bordetella Vaccine Killed My Dog?
- Rabies Vaccine Killed My Dog?
- Rimadyl Killed My Dog?
- Baytril Killed My Dog?
Ketoconazole is a medication used to treat fungal infections. It can be given to dogs, but it is important that you follow the instructions on the packaging and avoid giving your dog too much ketoconazole.
If you give your dog too much ketoconazole, it can have serious health consequences. Dogs who are given large amounts of ketoconazole may experience vomiting, seizures, and liver damage. If you believe your dog has been poisoned by ketoconazole, contact your veterinarian immediately.