What Happens If My Dog Eats A Slug?

If your dog eats a slug, there is a chance that they could suffer digestive disorders like pain, diarrhea and vomiting.

Besides digestive disorders, eating slugs can cause dogs to contract lungworm. Lungworm is a nasty and potentially fatal disease for dogs caused by the parasite, Angiostrongylus vasorum, which is carried around by slugs and snails (gastropods). It can cause heart failure, breathing difficulties, seizures and bleeding disorders in your furry friend

Should I Be Worried If My Dog Eats a Slug?

No, you don’t need to worry if your dog eats a slug. While slugs may carry parasites that could potentially harm your dog, the risk is very low. If you are concerned about your dog’s health, talk to your veterinarian.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats A Lot Of Slugs?

If your dog has eaten a lot of slugs, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. Slug poison can be very dangerous to dogs and can cause serious health problems. If you have the number for poison control handy, call them as well.

Symptoms of slug poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, seizures, and death. If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, it is important to get them to the vet immediately. Treatment for slug poisoning will vary depending on the severity of the symptoms and how quickly you can get your dog to the vet.

In some cases, treatment may simply involve giving your dog fluids IV to prevent dehydration. In more severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary so that your dog can be monitored closely and treated with medication if needed.

My 8 Week Old Puppy Ate a Slug- What to Do?

If you have an 8 week old puppy that ate a slug, don’t panic! While it’s not exactly something you want your pup to be eating, it’s not necessarily harmful. The main thing to watch for is any potential allergic reaction, as some dogs can be allergic to slugs.

If your puppy starts showing any signs of distress, such as vomiting or diarrhea, then take them to the vet right away. Otherwise, just keep an eye on them and make sure they’re acting normal.

My Dog Ate a Dead Slug- Should I Worry?

If your dog ate a dead slug, there’s no need to panic. While it’s not the most appetizing thing in the world, a dead slug won’t harm your pup. The biggest risk is if your dog ate a slug that was infected with parasites.

These parasites can cause serious health problems for your dog, including gastrointestinal issues and even seizures. If you’re concerned that your dog may have eaten an infected slug, contact your veterinarian right away.

Are Slugs Poisonous to Dogs If Licked?

No, slugs are not poisonous to dogs if licked. However, they may carry parasites like lungworm that can cause some serious problems,

Additionally, some slugs secrete a slime that can irritate a dog’s skin or mucous membranes. If your dog ingests a slug, watch for signs of gastrointestinal distress and contact your veterinarian if necessary.

What are the Signs of Lungworm in Dogs?

Lungworm is a type of parasitic worm that can infect the lungs of dogs. The most common type of lungworm in dogs is called Angiostrongylus vasorum, which is found in North America. Symptoms of lungworm infection in dogs can vary depending on the severity of the infestation, but can include coughing, wheezing, exercise intolerance and difficulty breathing.

In some cases, lungworm infection can be fatal. If you suspect your dog may have lungworm, it is important to take them to see a veterinarian as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment.

Find Out What Happens If Your Dog Eats Other Things


If your dog eats a slug, there is a slim chance that they will get sick. This is because slugs are not poisonous to dogs. However, if the slug is carrying a disease, there is a chance that your dog could contract it.

If you are concerned about your dog’s health, please contact your veterinarian.

Share This Article To Help Others:

Dr Harunur Rashid (Harun) is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine who has five years of experience in large pet animal medicine. He worked as a livestock officer for two years in an NGO, and since then he has been practicing pet animals medicine privately. He holds an MS in Pharmacology from Bangladesh Agricultural University and a DVM from the same institution.